A fairly girl Reunion, Ben Affleck’s Cold Feet and a $17 Million Payday: 20 Secrets About Runaway Bride Revealed
by Tierney Bricker | Tue., Jul. 30, 2019 3:00 AM
It had been the film 10 years within the making—in more ways than one.
Nine years after Pretty Woman made Julia Roberts a star and switched Richard Gere into certainly one of Hollywood’s many sought-after leading men, the iconic pair that is on-screen reunited in Runaway Bride.
Released on July 30, 1999, Roberts and Gere yet again teamed up using their Pretty Woman manager Garry Marshall, whom passed on in 2016, for the romantic-comedy about a little city woman therefore scared of dedication that she is dashed through the altar 3 x while the jaded divorced magazine columnist determined to see her run for the 4th time. Obviously, they fall in love.
Fans sprinted to your movie movie theater to look at set’s chemistry, making Runaway Bride, which was in fact in the works well with over 10 years with several other superstars connected to star at some time, a larger blockbuster hit than Pretty girl, that has been released in 1990.
But simply as it made more cash than Pretty girl does not mean it had been more lucrative, as Runaway Bride neglected to captivate experts (making only a 46 % fresh on bad Tomatoes) as well as had certainly one of its stars later on admitting it simply did not capture the secret of the past movie. (Plus, one of Roberts’ other iconic rom-coms—Notting Hill—came out simply weeks before.)
Nevertheless, because of Roberts and Gere’s effortless charm and charisma—both separately and combined—and Marshall’s knack for the genre, Runaway Bride has guaranteed an area as one of Hollywood’s many suffering intimate comedies, whether or not it had been rarely made along with a different ending at one point.
Through the A-listers which were initially likely to star into the movie in 1991 to Roberts’ very very own experience as being a bride that is runaway listed here are 20 enjoyable facts you do not learn about Runaway Bride.
1. Although the concept seemed tailor-made for Gere and Roberts to own their Pretty Woman followup, Runaway Bride ended up being really within the works well with over 10 years, with numerous other famous actors set to try out the fighting bride-to-be (times four) and cynical journalist.
First up? In 1992, Geena Davis and Harrison Ford had been set to lead the film, nonetheless it dropped aside if the very first manager brought in had difficulties with the script. On the next years that are few movie stars like Michael Douglas, Demi Moore, Ellen DeGeneres and Mel Gibson had been all within the mix.
2. However in 1996, Sandra Bullock ended up being thinking about playing Maggie and urged the task ahead. Until she then had some hesitations–much like Maggie together with her suitors–and was away, with Ben Affleck and Tea Leoni in talks to take control, using the studio liking the concept of a more youthful few. But once Affleck passed, one of many manufacturers made a decision to approach Gere.
3. As he liked the script, Gere had one condition the studio had to fulfill before he finalized on to relax and play Ike: “when you can get Julia, i am in.” Roberts, that has initially been uncertain regarding the film whenever she read a past type of the script years prior, chose to take another appearance. And after a telephone call together with her old Pretty girl main character, the film movie movie movie stars had been willing to reunite.
“People have now been looking to get them straight back together for nine years,” studio producer Tom Rosenberg told The Los Angeles circumstances. “And unexpectedly it happened—it ended up being all settled in a week.”
4. The next call ended up being one Gere and Roberts will have to make together, because they needed to pursue their Pretty Woman manager to really make the reunion formally complete by directing their love tale yet again. There is one hitch however, as Marshall had guaranteed to simply simply take their wife to Australia for a vacation that is much-needed.
“They said, ‘Get off the telephone, you want to speak to your spouse,” Marshall recalled towards the book. “They informed her such things as, ‘ just How frequently do we get to be able to try this?’ and, ‘we will take care that is good of,’ therefore finally we said, ‘OK, I’ll do so.'”
5. The trio’s provided history made shooting Runaway Bride a fairly experience that is stress-free the trio, with Marshall noting a modification of their main character, now equipped with a decade of expertise on sets sufficient reason for stardom.
“Richard have been extremely careful on Pretty girl, but this time around he had been much more prepared to be funny,” the manager stated. “Mostly we chatted inside our very very own small shorthand. All I’d to accomplish ended up being yell ‘Action’ and ‘Shut up.'”
6. The movie’s budget soared to $70 million, an unusually high number for a romantic comedy after getting A-listers Roberts and Gere on board. As well as gross that is back-end the movie, Roberts attained $17 million on her dashes through the altar, while Gere pocketed $12 million. The movie movie movie stars shown worthy of the big paydays, as Runaway Bride exposed at # 1 in the field workplace, getting a week-end total of around $35 million, undoubtedly the most readily useful opening ever for the Roberts film at that time.
7. While Runaway Bride went on to gross over $150 million domestically (and $300 million all over the world), learning to be a blockbuster hit, it received significantly less than stellar reviews, with Gere later on searching straight right back from the film in a job interview with Entertainment Weekly and admitting, “Whatever that magic was at the very first movie, you cannot make that take place. While there is some stuff that is wonderful the film, it surely did not have the miracle regarding the very first one. The expectation it was likely to have that exact same sort of delicious miracle ended up being reckless. It had been a various film, it had been yet another asian dating time, she was at another type of spot, I became in another type of destination.”
8. Manufacturing descended upon the little city of Berlin, Md., making it the fictional and quirky Hale, Md. for the film, and place near to $1 million in to the economy that is local upped the actual estate market and nearly doubling tourism following the movie’s launch.
“we have been completely amazed,” Berlin’s then Chamber president told The Baltimore Sun for the effect the film had around town of simply 3,000 individuals. “the film ended up being the Midas touch that introduced our city to numerous individuals. It put us from the map.”
9. As soon as called “America’s Coolest Small Town” by Budget Travel, hosting the Roberts-Gere car remains a spot of pride for Berlin, aided by the city holding a Runaway Bride thirty days in August to commemorate the anniversary that is 20th.
“People are offered in and so they would you like to hear, ‘Hey do you obtain to meet up with Richard Gere? what exactly is Julia Roberts like? Can the house is seen by us? Where was the bridal shop?'” Ivy Wells, Economic and Community developing Director of Berlin, stated. “We thought guess what happens, we are going to provide the individuals what they want in addition they would you like to commemorate the film therefore we are likely to do it up because of its twentieth anniversary.”